family

family

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

whobody got ready for Christmas?

So... I should have actually written this one before the Christmas Eve one....but I kind of forgot about these pictures until I was looking through them today! Oh well.

Can you tell that I am really trying hard to get all caught up on this year before it is over? I actually decided that during this week of Christmas/New Years I am going to only do the household maintenance stuff (laundry, dishes, meals)....and use the rest of the time to spend with the kids and/or do my blog.  (You might say I am taking 'vacation'.) 
 
 So...here I sit. Nash is napping, Keaton is playing outside, Cruz is playing on the floor in front of me, and Lola is sitting at the table putting together her Lego friends Stable that she got from Santa. (With my occasional help.)
I hope I don't get too used to this 'vacation'....it is actually quite relaxing!
 
SO...onto the good stuff: 
We do a lot of things to prepare for Christmas every year. 
I think traditions are so important, and I want to make sure that the kids realize  that there is a lot
more to Christmas
than just opening Santa's presents. 
One tradition that Jason started when Keaton was a little boy was on the 23rd (or around then) we go up to all of the Nativity scenes at the churches in Garnavillo and the park....and we clear the snow off of the figures and away from the front of the stables.  We usually then sing "Away in a Manger" or "Silent Night" and move onto the next one. The kids really like to "help" and I think that they feel pretty important doing so. 
 
 
Some years the snow isn't very deep and it really doesn't need it...but this year we had a lot of work to do! The kids loved it and did a good job.  I even rewarded them with hot chocolate in the car...and we drove around and looked at some Christmas lights too.  Yes...Cruz came along...but stayed in the car and watched us out of the open window.  I'm sure next year he will be LOTS of help.
 
 
I asked the kids to help me pick up the house before Christmas so that I could just relax and enjoy the holidays. (It is so hard for me to relax when things are messy....something I need to work on....because a totally neat house is NOT realistic when you have 4 kids.....and way too much stuff.)  Anyway....here is Nash 'helping' me pick up toys. (To help, he dumped out a basket of toys...and then carried around the empty basket trying to find some toys to put into it....)
 
Notice the safety glasses....his new favorite toy....safety first, I always say! (pay no attention to the fact that he is wearing only underwear.....he usually gets dressed sooner or later.)
 This picture was taken the night before Christmas Eve....Nash insisted that he wear this shirt...and the Santa hat....then he pretended he was Santa for a little while....
I guess Santa can't help but climb on furniture.
 p.s. I am not quite sure WHY he is running around with no pants on all of the time....we must keep our house warm enough.  One more example of me choosing my battles!
 
Finally, a picture of our Christmas tree by the fireplace.  I have always DREAMED of having a fireplace to sit by when we are opening presents on Christmas morning. We put this in last year, and we have had it on almost every night this winter! I
 love it! (and I love how our tree turned out too!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment