family

family

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

whobody is ready for halloween?

Well...bring on Halloween!
We are ready.
 
We have our pumpkins carved and our costumes ready. I thought I would share some pictures of our preparations.... first, the carving.
 
This is always quite a process...but it seems to be getting easier since Keaton and Lola will actually TOUCH the pumpkins now. (Two years ago...they would only draw the face...that was it.) It is usually a mom & kids project...but, lucky for me, our friendly (and very crafty and patient) babysitter, Rachel, helped us with the carving. First thing we did was scoop out the pumpkins. Like I said...this goes much faster now that Keaton and Lola are willing to get their hands dirty!
 
Nash, on the other hand, just supervised. He couldn't handle the muck. For a kid who is very brave in so many things...he sometimes surprises me when he is timid about something.
 
 
Look at Nash...hands behind his back...and scowl on his face....
 
 
Then, we spent about 30 minutes on google...trying to decide how to carve our pumpkins. Nash's favorite movie is "How to Train Your Dragon" so he and Rachel chose to carve a picture of Toothless the dragon into Nash's pumpkin. (We mistakenly thought that we could take the permanent marker off with fingernail polish remover...not so much...Oh well, looks good in the dark!)  Keaton just chose a combo...he really wanted to run the drill and do dots...but he also wanted a scary face....Lola wanted a cat.
  The 2 older kids actually helped CARVE this year. The little saws that came in a kit worked great. (Note to self...have more than TWO next year....) This is a picture of Keaton actually carving....and below is a posed picture of Lola. :)  I was a little too busy during the carving process to be snapping pictures.  Nash was eventually uncooperative, so he ended up watching a cartoon while Rachel carved his pumpkin. Cruz just sat in his high chair, snacked, and watched us.
 Here is a picture of our finished products! They had lots of fun...and if I had a little more energy...I would let them carve more (the older 2 anyway....) Maybe next year! I was SO glad Rachee was here to help...the extra set of hands was great!
 So...I didn't do a great job of taking the picture in the dark...but you get the idea! I am looking forward to someday carving my own pumpkin! :)
 I am thinking it will be awhile.....
 
 
We carved pumpkins on Friday night...then, on Sunday afternoon we got into our costumes and went to our church's Halloween party!
 
Cruz was supposed to be a dog..but ended up being too LONG for the costume...so we went with our old reliable penguin. :) It was very comfy for him. Keaton was originally going to be a fireman...but Nash insisted on conquering Keaton's costume, so I got him one of his own. As of right now we have THREE accessories that make a siren sound....I'm pretty sure you will hear us coming..... Lola is a zebra (obviously). Her mask actually makes a zebra/horse? sound when you press its nose! I bought her the mask and a tail...the rest are clothes that she wears!
 
The Halloween Party was from 1pm to 3pm.
Nash usually naps from about 12:30pm to 4pm. 
(Along with Cruz....)
 
So, needless to say...we were pushing it.
But, we went anyway because the kids were excited about it. Nash did alright for the first part...but didn't like playing bingo at all...so he began coloring his prize coloring book...and made it through.
 The kids had lots of fun. They had a pumpkin decorating contest (divided us into teams) and they had a few other activities...and we played Bingo.
This is a picture of Lola concentrating on Bingo. I know she is concentrating by the tounge hanging out of her mouth...
 
This is our little penguin....he obviously thought the party was boring. (kidding...he fought his nap so hard...but his little eyes got too heavy....
and finally shut for the last 45 minutes...)
 
Here a picture of Nash trying to mess up Keaton and Lola's bingo cards....
 
The best part of the day for Lola
....she got 2nd in the costume contest!
She was more excited than she looks in this picture...
 
Tomorrow is Halloween. The weather is going to be nice....the costumes are laid out...and I have the stroller ready! The kids are SO excited to trick-or-treat.
 
I'll admit. I don't love Halloween.
....but I love that the kids love it. When adults say that Halloween is their favorite 'holiday', I think they are nuts! (Mine is a tie between July 4th and Christmas.)  To me, Halloween is mostly a lot of work and hassle... and it doesn't help that this is my single parent time of year. But, as the kids get older, and more independent...
I am finding a little joy in this otherwise creepy holiday.
...but I say, bring on Thanksgiving and Christmas!
(Yes, as usual, I am one of those people.)
Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment