family

family

Friday, April 8, 2011

whobody is Grandpa Firetruck?

Well...we talk about all kinds of Grandpas and Grandmas in our house. We have Grandpa & Grandma Tractor (Reimer), Grandma Piano and Bompa Sheryl (Zittergruen), Great Grandma and Grandpa Werges (no nickname for them I guess), and Grandpa Firetruck. 

My Grandpa Zittergruen is who the kids refer to as "Grandpa Firetruck".  Keaton started this when he was just learning to talk.  We would go up to Grandpa's house to play cards about once a week, and Keaton would just play with toys while we played cards.  Grandpa was at the Dollar Store one time and found a electronic (LOUD) firetruck on clearance and decided maybe Keaton would like that toy to play with at his house...so he bought it and Keaton loved it.  From that point on Keaton would ask "when are we going to Grandpa Firetruck's to play cards?" and so a name was born.  If I mention Great Grandpa Zittergruen the kids will say "who?" until I say Grandpa Firetruck, they totally act like they don't know his real name. (Although lately Lola has been referring to him as Marvin too.... :)

Grandpa Firetruck turns 93 in a few days and just recently hurt his back and was put into the hospital.  Keaton, Lola and I have been spending lots of nights going to visit him.  We usually leave Nash outside to play with Grandma Piano...I guess I am afraid that he would destroy something in the room :) The kids have been GREAT about making him pictures and cards...and being very good sports in the hospital.  I'm pretty sure that they are in it for the chocolate candy bar they each get from Grandpa when they leave.  They have even been good about saving all of their questions and concerns for after we leave.  ALTHOUGH...one night while grandpa was eating the ice cream from his supper Keaton says "Grandpa how come even though you are sick you still get treats? When I am sick I don't get treats...."

Here are some pictures of Grandpa Firetruck being a good sport with the kids....

 He gives the kids rides in his lift chair....



 and plays Nerf Guns with them
The kids cannot wait until he gets better and we can play at his house again! Get well soon Grandpa Firetruck.

1 comment:

  1. Lesa,

    I hope your grandpa gets better quick! He is a very neat man!!! I love the name Grandpa Firetruck!
    Take Care, Rachel Bachman

    ReplyDelete