family

family

Thursday, May 9, 2013

whobody had quintuplets?

Fluffy did!
Fluffy is our beloved cat that we got as a kitten last fall.
This Spring, she got fatter and fatter.....
and then had FIVE kittens....in the drawer of a cabinet in the garage.
(I was her midwife and doula....kidding, I swear I totally left her alone.)


Anyway, I am super impressed with her mothering skills. 
 Instinct is an amazing thing. 
When I had my first kid there were people everywhere telling me what to do and when and how.

Amazingly, there are no lactation consultants for cats...and they are still able to feed their kittens.
Where is Kathy when you need her? ;) 
(imagine me nudging my friends who have met the lactation consultant Kathy....)

Anyway, Fluffy has done EXCELLENT with her kittens...and 
Grandma Lola couldn't be more proud.
She cried when I told her about them....and cried again when I showed them to her.

THIS is exactly why we got cats last fall....to give Lola something to nurture and care for around here.  We did have cats....but they are COMPLETELY wild....can't touch them at all. 
In case you were wondering, their names are 
"Hissy" and "Cattywhompus".  



And I think nursing is tough with just ONE sometimes... seriously, five? 
I actually thought there were only 4 for a couple of days....they all look so much alike and are always intertwined snuggling in a pile of heads and tails.

Lola has had SO much fun bringing the kitties outside on the nice days and just playing with them!  The trick is to keep them protected from Cattywhompus, Hissy, and......CRUZ.  
He LOVES them and just can't get enough...but has NO idea how to be gentle. 
He tries to pick them up and then drop them. 
Needless to say....we usually get them out when he is not around.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE baby kitties. They make me so happy! I am pumped to have kitties around here that we can actually play with! Now, the challenge of naming them. 
So far the kids have come up with Blur, Brownie and Fluffball....and Brownie (yes, right now Nash wants to name HIS Brownie too....)  We will have to work on names....



No comments:

Post a Comment