family

family

Monday, November 11, 2013

whobody "helped" mom?

First of all, look at this cutie. pajama pants and a t-shirt. 
He always wakes up OH so happy!



This was one of those first chilly days a few weeks ago...and I decided I was going to make some cheeseburger soup. 
(My favorite. For real.)

The older three were at school...I was JUST about to turn a cartoon on for Cruz so I could start my peeling, washing and chopping....when Cruz had a wonderful idea. "help!" 
(I hesitated, because although it was a great idea...I really didn't know if I had enough time for him to help me.) 

You see, life is busy...
and I am often times guilty of putting my to-do list ahead of my 
teachable moments and being a good mom. 
So often it overwhelms me that my
to-do list is never to-done

Therefore I am always trying to be as productive as possible
...which really doesn't make me the best mom. 
I sometimes spend so much time setting things up to be enjoyed...
that I never really enjoy them. 
(for example: cleaning and picking up instead of sitting down to play at night...
my excuse, I can't relax in a mess...
reality: I'm not relaxing if I am picking up either...
so what is the point?.) 

This doesn't mean that I am going to not pick up...I am just trying to make myself more aware of this little problem of mine....because before I know it my kids aren't going to play with toys anymore and I will be wishing they were little again. 

 And...lets be honest...I can't just keep on having kids so 
I don't run out of little ones...or can I? 
(fyi: my body is making it pretty clear to me during this pregnancy, that, no, keeping on having kids is not the best choice.) 
(The ironic thing is that this baby in my tummy is kicking me like crazy right now...trying to tell me something probably...Just don't know what.)

I understand that it is great for kids to 'help' in the kitchen...many times they have helped me prepare different desserts and meals. 
 If I have learned anything in my 8 years of parenting, I have learned that 'help' doesn't always help. 
I know that if you are a parent of little ones, you know what I mean. 

BUT, I will say...now that I have a 6 and an 8 year old...sometimes, it turns out, their 'helping' actually does 'help'.   This is a new thing.  I hate to jinx myself, but Keaton and Lola both actually have the capability to be helpful with some things in the kitchen.  

The only reason they know how to do these things NOW is because when they were Cruz and Nash's age...I let them 'help' and that is how they learned.  
The problem is that now that I have double the amount of children,
the younger ones don't get a chance to 'help' much, because it is so much more productive to distract them with something 
while I just get it done myself or get it done with the help of Keaton and Lola.


But, on this day, I,
for some reason decided to let Cruz 'help'.
  (No, I didn't think through all of the above stuff at that exact moment and weigh the pros and cons of him helping at the time and then make my decision....
he pretty much got to help because he looked so darn cute in his jammies and already had his chair pushed up to the sink.)  
Who could resist this guy?

So.  Cruz 'helped'.  He washed the potatoes...

Every time he put another clean one on the towel he would clap.


After the potatoes were washed, I simply filled the sink with water, gave him a measuring spoon and cup and let him play. He had so much fun!


Mmmmm....water.


Did I mention I had a whole load of wet clothes and towels after this? It was totally worth it.

Pure joy, right there. He would fill his cup with water, and then grab some of my chopped up potatoes, carrots and celery and make his own little 'soup' and then drink it.


When it was all said and done, I was SO glad I let Cruz help. 

The only question I had for myself was 
"Why don't I do this more often?"

I have gone back to this day in my head a few times since then and tried to make sure I don't miss these opportunities every single time they come up. 

 The soup turned out delicious...at least I thought so. 
Not to mention, I very much enjoyed my one on one time with my 
little buddy Cruz.

No comments:

Post a Comment